Australia is on the brink of a nationwide COVID-19 outbreak with the National Security Committee set to meet today to deal with the escalating situation.
COVID-19 Taskforce Commander Lieutenant-General John Frewen said the nation must brace for an Australia where outbreaks happen.
“We are going to be living with COVID for a long time … There will be no eradication of this disease,” he said.
Millions are starting the week under new restrictions, as state and territory governments take action to slow the spread of the virus.
Sydney residents are today entering their first full week of lockdown, with the Bondi cluster now at 124.
Meanwhile, Queensland, Perth and Darwin have also introduced public safety measures as states record new cases of community transmission.
Borders are slamming shut with South Australia closing to multiple states, WA strengthening controls with the NT, ACT and Queensland and Victoria restricting entry from NSW, Queensland, WA and Darwin.
Here are the latest details on case numbers and restrictions from around the country:
Millions in Greater Sydney are now under the strictest lockdown in the country after the outbreak grew by 30 cases on Sunday – the largest jump in cases so far.
A further 18 new cases were announced today with all bar one linked to pre-existing cases.
There are more than 143 listed exposure sites around Greater Sydney with the domestic airport terminal among the latest list of venues on alert for COVID-19.
Anyone living in Greater Sydney is now subject to a two-week stay-at-home order, with residents only able to leave their homes for essential reasons including grocery shopping, exercise, receiving medical care and essential work and education that cannot be done from home.
Ms Berejiklian today urged locked-down Sydneysiders to avoid contact with others as much as possible.
“We encourage people, if you are ordering in food, keep the order contactless,” she said.
“While you are allowed to go out and get essential services and food items we are keen to not have people move around.”
While NSW residents are urged to get the COVID-19 vaccine, Chief Health Officer Dr Kerry Chant has warned people to abide by safety measures while doing so.
“Please do not go if you have any symptoms, and please before you set out, please check the exposure venues to make sure you are not a close or casual contact and follow that public health advice,” she said.
Victoria has so far managed to keep the new wave of the virus out with zero cases announced today and no further restrictions put in place.
However, the state is remaining vigilant, introducing travel restrictions with other states.
From 1am on Monday, June 28, Greater Brisbane in Queensland and the Perth Metropolitan and Peel regions in Western Australia will be designated orange zones under Victoria’s travel permit system.
People who have been in orange zones can obtain a permit to enter Victoria but must isolate on entry, get tested within 72 hours, and stay isolated until they receive a negative result.
All arrivals into Victoria must apply for a travel permit even if they are entering from a green zone.
Any close contacts of a positive COVID-19 case, including anyone who has been to a high-risk exposure site, is not allowed to enter Victoria.
Exceptions and exemptions are listed on Victoria’s travel permit website.
Darwin has also been declared a red zone, restricting non-Victorian residents from entering Victoria without an exemption.
More than 200 officers have been deployed to the border to prevent anyone unlawfully entering Victoria.
Victoria Health Minister Martin Foley said additional border restrictions put in place over the past 24 hours were necessary to prevent the spread of the contagious Delta variant of COVID-19.
“It is cautious because it has to be. This is the first time that Victoria has had orange and red zones in most Australian states and territories,” Mr Foley said.
“Nothing describes the seriousness that the nation is facing more than those extents of border restrictions and permit applications that Victoria has in place.”
Queensland has this morning introduced tighter COVID-19 restrictions after two new cases were recorded overnight.
From 1am tomorrow, masks will be required in the following Queensland LGAs: Noosa, Sunshine Coast, Ipswich, Logan, Redlands, Morton, Brisbane, Gold Coast, the Scenic Rim, Lockyer Valley, and Somerset.
The one person per four square metre rule will also be in effect.
Only 30 people are allowed inside private homes.
Wedding numbers will also be restricted to 20.
At hospitality venues, there is no dancing or standing.
Today’s cases include a female miner from the Sunshine Coast who is confirmed positive with the highly contagious Delta strain, Premier Annastacia Palaszczuk said.
The worker is from Bli Bli, and Ms Palaszczuk said anyone in that Sunshine Coast area should get tested if they feel sick.
Chief Health Officer Jeannette Young said one of the two positive cases was already in quarantine and not of concern.
But the other case, the female miner, had been out in the community for one day while infectious.
“She was with her family and they started a road trip that immediately came back,” Dr Young said.
The woman had visited a “few” service stations and cafes and Queensland Health will notify people of those venues.
The worker is one of 170 fly-in, fly-out workers from an NT gold mine where a positive case was detected on Saturday and who were now in Queensland.
“We’ve got enormous risks throughout our state,” Dr Young said, also highlighting the positive Virgin crew member who had taken five flights, including one to the Gold Coast and another to Brisbane.
In addition, anyone who has visited Greater Sydney is also subject to the stay-at-home order currently in place in NSW.
The LGAs of Waverley, Woollahra, Randwick and the City of Sydney have also been a declared COVID-19 hotspot, backdated to June 11.
Anyone who has been in these LGAs will not be allowed to enter Queensland, unless they are a returning Queensland resident or have an exemption.
Anyone allowed to enter will need to go into hotel quarantine for a period of two weeks.
High-level restrictions are expected to be reintroduced across South Australia today around the use of masks and density limits with growing concerns COVID-19 could be going undetected.
The state has recorded no new local cases of COVID-19, however tough travel restrictions are in place for every state except Tasmania.
A hard border is now in place with NSW, the ACT, NT, WA and Queensland.
People who have visited Tier 1 or 2 exposure sites in Victoria are also prohibited from entering.
A territory-wide lockdown initially announced yesterday will be extended for a further 72 hours, Chief Minister Michael Gunner has announced.
The lockdown measures, which were initially only expected to last 48 hours, will now be in place until 1pm this Friday.
Mr Gunner said the lockdown was “absolutely necessary” and that they were not “out of the woods yet”.
One new positive case of COVID-19 has been recorded in the state, the seventh linked to the mine outbreak site.
The new positive case in the NT is a 50-year-old man who worked at the mine exposure site on Friday, June 25.
It is understood he was infectious in the community for 36 hours.
For the first time, there are several public exposure sites in the NT, which will be released soon through public channels.
The lockdown area includes Darwin, Palmerston and Litchfield.
Residents will only be allowed to leave their home to receive medical care, receive a COVID-19 vaccination, buy essential goods and services, exercise or provide care to a family member.
One new local case of coronavirus has been reported in Perth, WA Premier Mark McGowan announced.
The case is a 32-year-old woman, dubbed case 1023, who went to the Mobius Health and Performance Gym and had minimal contact with a previous case.
She also went to a leisure centre, and dog groomer and an IGA while potentially infectious.
Phase one COVID-19 restrictions are being reintroduced in Perth and Peel for the next three days at least after a positive case from Sydney entered the state.
WA Health Minister Roger Cook has urged West Australians to keep up with their basic hygiene, mask-wearing and check-ins.
“Good hygiene, social distancing, masks, testing, and using SafeWA and contact registers,” he added.
“If you are eligible to get vaccinated roll up for WA now, the only way we can get away from lockdowns, although this is not a lockdown, and we can ease up on travellers if we all get vaccinated, it’s an extremely important element, we are not safe unless we’re all safe,” Mr Cook said.
Masks will now be mandatory indoors, on public transport, and outdoors where physical distancing is not possible.
Public events that cannot be restricted to 150 people will be cancelled or played without spectators.
A 30-person limit has been reintroduced in all homes for private gatherings.
Hospitality, entertainment venues, retail, beauty/hairdressers, recreation centres and places of worship can remain open but must comply with the two-square-metre rule, with a maximum of 150 people.
Community sport is allowed and weddings and funerals can also go ahead but will be limited to a maximum of 150 attendees.
Anyone who enters a regional area from the Perth-Peel region is required to wear a mask as per requirements in Perth-Peel, and travel should be minimised.
The restrictions were introduced after a woman aged in her 50s tested positive to COVID-19 on Sunday after being out in the community while infectious for three days.
She tested negative upon returning back to WA before later developing symptoms and visited several locations while potentially infectious.
The exposure sits are three primary schools in the northern suburbs and Ikea Perth.
Mr McGowan has also confirmed there are 177 close contacts within WA associated with the NT mine outbreak.
Of these, 149 have been tested however authorities remain “very concerned” about the potential spread.
Western Australia has implemented COVID-19 testing requirements for travellers returning from New South Wales, Queensland, Victoria and recently from New Zealand.
People, both symptomatic and asymptomatic, who have been to a listed exposure site at the dates and times indicated are required to be tested and adhere to isolation requirements.
A hard border has also been introduced with NSW.
Face masks are now required in certain public settings within the ACT.
While there is currently no community transmission, masks will add another line of defence as we work to keep COVID-19 out of Canberra.
The ACT has now declared NSW, the NT, Queensland, Victoria and New Zealand as areas of concern.
Non-ACT residents who have been in the Greater Sydney, Central Coast, Blue Mountains, Wollongong and Shellharbour regions of NSW are not permitted to travel into the ACT unless they have an approved exemption.
The same restrictions apply to people in the NT and Queensland who have visited listed exposure sites.
Tasmania has introduced a hard border with most of Greater Sydney.
“You need to be tested at least five days after you left the high-risk LGA and will be able to leave isolation if you receive a negative result,” the health department said in its latest alert.
For the NT, Darwin, Palmerston and Litchfield have also been listed as high risk with travel restrictions now in place.
Tasmanian health authorities have also listed a number of venues in WA, Victoria and Queensland.
Anyone who has visited the listed locations at the specified dates and times listed below will not be permitted to travel to Tasmania.